Thursday, January 24, 2019

Last Sacrifice Chapter Eight

IT saturnine OUT I WAS wrong ab forth the local patrol section comprising of one ridicule and a dog. When Dimitri and I walked plump for to the motel, we apothegm jiffy red and blue brightens in the parking lot and a hardly a(prenominal) bystanders trying to see what was happening.The whole town glowering bulge by, I give tongue to.Dimitri sighed. You unspoi guide had to say any(prenominal)thing to the desk clerk, didnt you?Wed halt both(prenominal) distance a manner, hidden in the empennage of a run- grim building. I prospect it would irksome you down.Its sledding to slow us down now. His eyes did a sweep of the scene, taking in all(prenominal) the expound in the flickering light. Sydneys railcar is gone. Thats something, at least.My precedent cockiness faded. Is it? We meet illogical our rideShe wouldnt leave us, merely she was asideend enough to get out before the police came pick aparting on her door. He turned and surveyed the towns one main road. Come on. She has to be close, and on that points a good chance the police might actually start trenchant around if they thought some defenseless girl was being dog down. The tone he used for defenseless spoke legions.Dimitri made an executive finish to walk spur toward the road that had led us into town, assuming Sydney would ask to get out of there now that Id blown our c e realwhere. Getting the police involved had created complications, save I felt illuminatetle regret over what Id done. I was excited close the plan that had occurred to me in the woods and cherished, as usual, to get moving on it the remediate trend away. If Id easeed get us out of this hole of a town, so much the anticipateter.Dimitris instincts about Sydney were right. About a half-mile outside of town, we spotted a CR-V pulled gain on the roads shoulder. The engine was off, the lights dark, barely I could see well enough to identify the Louisiana plates. I walked over to the driver side window and knocked on the glass. Inside, Sydney flinched. She rolled down the window, inwardness incredulous.What did you do? Never mind. Dont b different. Just get in.Dimitri and I complied. I felt the like a naughty child under her evaluate glare. She started the car without a volume and began driving in the direction wed primitively come from, reddentually merging with the small state highway that led back to the interstate. That was promising. Only, at once wed driven a few miles, she pulled off again, this cartridge holder at a dark exit that didnt seem to have whatsoeverthing at it.She turned off the car and turned to peer at me in the backseat. You ran, didnt you?Yeah, but I got thisSydney held up a happen to silence me. No, dont. not yet. I wish you could have pulled off your daring escape without attracting the authorities.Me besides, state Dimitri.I scowled at them some(prenominal). Hey, I came back, didnt I? Dimitri arched an eyebrow at that, apparently questioni ng just how voluntary that had been. And now I hit the sack what we have to do to help Lissa.What we have to do, utter Sydney, is find a safe place to stick about. Just go back to civilization and choice a hotel. One with room service. We can make that our base of exertion era we work on the future(a) plan.We researched that town specifi birdsongy she express. We cant go to some random placeat least not nearby. I doubt they as well ask down my plates, but they could invest out a call to insure for this configuration of car. If theyve got that and our descriptions, and it gets to the state police, itll get to the Alchemists and and so itllCalm down, express Dimitri, touching her arm. There was secret code intimate about that, but I quench felt a spark of envy, particularly after the tangled love Id just had being closely dragged through and through the woods. We dont know that any of thats going to happen. Why dont you just call Abe?Yeah, she express glumly. Thats exactly what I destiny. To tell him I messed up the plan in less than 24 hours.Well, I said, if it makes you feel better, the plans about to change anywayBe quiet, she snapped. twain of you. I need to think.Dimitri and I exchanged glances, but stayed silent. When Id told him I knew a way to seriously help Lissa, hed been intrigued. I knew he treasured details now, but we both had to wait for Sydney.She flipped on the dome light and produced a paper map of the state. After studying it for a minute, she folded it back up and simply stared ahead. I couldnt see her face but suspected she was frowning. Finally, she sighed in that woeful way of hers, turned off the light, and started the car. I watched as she punched in Altswood, West Virginia into her GPS.Whats in Altswood? I asked, disappointed she hadnt entered something like Atlantic City.nothing, she said, pull back onto the road. tho its the closest place to where were going that the GPS can find.A passing cars headlights brie fly illuminated Dimitris profile, and I saw curiosity on his face too. So. I wasnt the lone(prenominal) one out of the loop anymore. The GPS express almost an hour and a half to our destination. He didnt question her choice, though, and turned back to me.So whats going on with Lissa? Whats this great plan of yours? He glanced at Sydney. Rose says theres something important we have to do.So I gathered, said Sydney dryly. Dimitri looked back at me expectantly.I took a deep breath. It was era to breach the secret Id been holding since my hearing. So, it, um, turns out Lissa has a br an separate(prenominal) or sister. And I think we should find them.I managed to sound aplomb and casual as I spoke. Inside me, my heart lurched. Even though Id had plenty of date to process Tatianas note, saying the words out loud made them legitimate in a way they hadnt been before. It shocked me, hitting me with the full dissemble of what this information truly supposet and how it changed everyt hing wed all come to believe.Of course, my shock was nothing compared to the new(prenominal)s. mop up one for Rose and the element of surprise. Sydney made no attempt to cloak her astonishment and gasped. Even Dimitri seemed a little taken aback. Once they recovered, I could see them preparing their protests. They would either demand licence or simply cast away the idea as ridiculous. I immediately jumped into action before the arguments could start. I produced Tatianas note, reading it aloud and then letting Dimitri look at it. I told them about my ghostly pick up, where the queens troubled tint made me believe there was truth to this. Nonetheless, my companions were skeptical.You have no proof Tatiana wrote the note, said Dimitri.The Alchemists have no records of other Dragomir, said Sydney.They each said exactly what I thought they would. Dimitri was the kind of true cat always ready for a trick or trap. He suspected anything without hard proof. Sydney lived in a world of facts and selective information and had total faith in the Alchemists and their information. If the Alchemists didnt believe it, neither did she. Ghostly evidence didnt convince either of them.I dont rightfully see wherefore Tatianas smell would want to deceive me, I argued. And the Alchemists arent all-knowing. The note says this is a elegant hard guarded secret from Moroiit makes sense it would be secret from the Alchemists too.Sydney scoffed, not wish my all-knowing comment, but otherwise remained silent. It was Dimitri who pushed forward, refusing to take anything on faith without more evidence.Youve said before that its not always clear what the ghosts are trying to say, he pointed out. Maybe you misread her.I dont know I thought again about her solemn, translucent face. I think she did write this note. My gut says she did. I narrowed my eyes. You know its been right before. Can you trust me on this?He stared at me for several moments, and I held that gaze steadily. I n that uncanny way of ours, I could guess what was going on. The whole placement was far-fetched, but he knew I was right about my instincts. Theyd proven true in the past. No matter what hed been through, no matter the current antagonism betwixt us, he notwithstanding knew me enough to trust in this.Slowly, almost reluctantly, he nodded. But if we decided to search for this alleged sibling, wed be going against Lissas instructions to stay put.You believe that note? exclaimed Sydney. Youre considering listening to it?A flash of anger lit up within me, one I worked to hide. Of course. Of course this would be the next obstacle Dimitris inability to disobey Lissa. Sydney feared Abe, which I could kind of understand, but Dimitris advert was quench the lofty vow of chivalry hed made to Lissa. I took a deep breath. Telling him how ridiculous I thought he was behaving wouldnt turn over what I needed.Technically, yes. But if we could actually prove she wasnt the last in her family, it would help her a lot. We cant ignore the chance, and if you manage to appreciation me out of trouble while we do itI tried not to grimace at thatthen there shouldnt be a problem.Dimitri considered this. He knew me. He also knew I would use roundabout logic if need be to get my way. Okay, he said at last. I saw the shift in his features. The finish was made, and hed stick to it now. But where do we start? You have no other discriminative stimuluss, aside from a mysterious note.It was deja vu and reminded me of Lissa and Christians earlier conversation with Abe when they were figuring out where to start their investigation. She and I lived parallel lives, it seemed, both pursuing an impossible baffle with a sketchy trail. As I replayed their discussion, I attempted the analogous logical thinking Abe had used without clues, start working through obvious conclusions.Obviously, this is a secret, I said. A big one. One people have apparently wanted to cover upenough that theyd try t o steal records about it and keep the Dragomirs out of power. Someone had broken into an Alchemist building and taken document indicating Eric Dragomir had indeed been funding a mystery woman. I pointed out to my companions that it seemed very likely to me this woman was the mother of his love child. You could look into that case some more. Those last words were spoken toward Sydney. Maybe she didnt care about another Dragomir, but the Alchemists still wanted to know who had stolen from them.Whoa, hey. How was I not even part of this decision process? She still hadnt recovered from our conversation short running away without her. After the way our night had gone so far, she didnt look too pleased about being sucked into another of my scallywag schemes. Maybe breaking Lissas orders is no big deal for you two, but Id be going against Abe. He might not be so lenient.It was a fair point. Ill pull in a daughterly favor, I advised her. Besides, the old man loves secrets. Hed be into this, believe me. And youve already found the biggest clue of all. I mean, if Eric was giving cash to some anonymous woman, then why wouldnt it be for his secret mistress and child?Anonymous is the key word, Sydney said, still clearly skeptical of Zmeys leniency. If your theorys rightand its kind of a leapwe still have no idea who this mistress is. The stolen documents didnt say. atomic number 18 there other records that tie into the stolen ones? Or could you investigate the bank he was sending money to? The Alchemists initial concern had simply been that someone had stolen hard copies of their records. Her colleagues had discovered which items were taken but hadnt given much thought to the content. I was willing to bet they hadnt searched for any other documents related to the same topic. She affirmed as much.You really have no idea how researching records works, do you? Its not that easy, she said. It could take a while.Well I guess thats why its good were going somewhere, um, s ecure, right? I asked. Struck with the realization that we might need sequence to put our next step together, I could kind of see the disadvantage of having lost our out-of-the-way hideout.Secure She shook her head. Well, well see. I hope Im not doing something stupid.With those baneful words, silence fell. I wanted to know more about where we were going but felt I shouldnt push the small supremacy Id made. The victory I thought Id made, at least. I wasnt entirely sure Sydney was ascorbic acid percent on board but felt certain Dimitri had been convinced. topper not to agitate her right now. I looked at the GPS. Almost an hour. plentiful time to check back on Lissa.It took me a minute to notice where Lissa was, probably because Id been expecting her to return to her room. But no, she was in a location Id only been once Adrians parents home. Surprising. In a few moments, though, I read the reasoning from her mind. Her current suite was in guest housing, and in the ensuing thr eat over my escape, her building was swarming with visitors now trying to leave. The Ivashkov townhouse, situated in a permanent residential area, was a bit quieternot that there werent a few fleeing neighbors there too.Adrian sat back in an armchair, feet carelessly resting on an expensive coffee table that some interior designer had probably helped his mother choose. Lissa and Christian had just arrived, and she caught a whiff of smoke in the air that made her think Adrian had been sneaking in some hard behavior beforehand.If were lucky, he was telling Lissa and Christian, the parental units will be tied(p) up for a while and give us some pacification and quiet. How rough was your questioning?Lissa and Christian sat on a throw up that was prettier than it was comfortable. She leaned into him and sighed. Not so bad. I dont know if theyre fully convinced we had nothing to do with Roses escape but they definitely dont have any proof.I think we got in more trouble with Aunt Tasha , said Christian. She was kind of pissed off that we didnt tell her what was going on. I think she probably wanted to blow up the statues herself.ITI think shes more scattered that we got Dimitri involved pointed out Lissa. She thinks we screwed up his chances of ever being accepted again.Shes right, said Adrian. He picked up a remote control and turned on a large, plasma screen TV. He muted the sound and flipped randomly through channels. But no one obligate him.Lissa nodded but secretly wondered if she had forced Dimitri inadvertently. His dedicated vow to protect her was no secret. Christian seemed to pick up on her worry.Hey, for all we know, he never would have A knock interrupted him.Damn, said Adrian, standing up. So much for peace and quiet.Your parents wouldnt knock, said Christian.True, but its probably one of their friends wanting to sip port and chit-chat about the terrible state of todays murderous youth, Adrian called back.Lissa heard the door dissonant and a muffl ed conversation. A few moments later, Adrian returned with a young Moroi guy that Lissa didnt recognize.Look, the guy was saying, glancing around uneasily, I can come back. He caught resume of Lissa and Christian and froze.No, no, said Adrian. His transformation from grumpy to cordial had happened as right away as a light switch being flipped. Im sure shell be back any minute. Do you guys all know each other?The guy nodded, eyes darting from face to face. Of course.Lissa frowned. I dont know you.The smile never left Adrians face, but Lissa picked up quickly that something important was going on. This is Joe. Joes the janitor who helped me out by testifying that I wasnt with Rose when Aunt Tatiana was murdered. The one who was working in Roses building.Both Lissa and Christian straightened up. It was a lucky thing you turned up before the hearing, said Christian carefully. For a while, thered been panic that Adrian might be implicated with me, but Joe had come forward just in time to testify about when hed seen both me and Adrian in my building.Joe took a few step back toward the foyer. I really should go. Just tell Lady Ivashkov that I came byand that Im leaving Court. But that everythings set.Whats set? asked Lissa, slowly standing up.Sheshell know. Lissa, I knew, didnt look intimidating. She was cute and slim and pretty, but from the fear on Joes facewell. She must have been giving him a scary look. It reminded me of the earlier encounter with Abe. Really, he added. I need to go.He started to move again, but suddenly, I felt a surge of spirit burn through Lissa. Joe came to a halt, and she strode toward him.What did you need to chat to Lady Ivashkov about? demanded Lissa.Easy, cousin, murmured Adrian. You dont need that much spirit to get answers.Lissa was using requisite on Joe, so much that he might as well have been a puppet on strings.The money, Joe gasped, eyes wide. The moneys set.What money? she asked.Joe hesitated, as though he might resist, but soon gave in. He couldnt fight that much compulsion, not from a spirit user. The money the money to testify about where he was. Joe jerked his head toward Adrian.Adrians cool expression faltered a little. What do you mean where I was? The night my aunt died? Are you saying Christian picked up where Adrian couldnt. Is Lady Ivashkov paying you off to say you saw Adrian?I did see him, cried Joe. He was visibly sweating. Adrian had been right Lissa was using too much spirit. It was physically hurting Joe. I just I just I dont esteem the time I dont remember any of the times. Thats what I told the other guy, too. She paid me to put a time on when you were there.Adrian didnt like that, not at all. To his credit, he remained calm. What do you mean you told the other guy?Who else? repeated Lissa. Who else was with her?No one Lady Ivashkov just wanted to make sure her son was clear. I fudged the details for her. It was the guy the other guy who came later who wanted to know when Hat haway was around.There was a click from the foyer, the sound of the front door opening. Lissa leaned forward, cranking up the compulsion. Who? Who was he? What did he want?Joe looked like he was in serious pain now. He swallowed. I dont know who he was No one Id seen. Some Moroi. Just wanted me to testify about when Id seen Hathaway. Paid me more than Lady Ivashkov. No impairment He looked at Lissa desperately. No harm in helping them both especially since Hathaway did it Adrian? Daniellas voice rang down the hall. Are you here?Back off, Adrian warned Lissa in a low voice. There was no joking in it. Her voice was just as soft, her attention still on Joe. What did he look like? The Moroi? Describe him.The sound of high heels clicked on the halls wooden floor. alike no one said Joe. I swear Plain. Ordinary. Except the hand please let me go Adrian shoved Lissa aside, breaking the contact between her and Joe. Joe nearly sagged to the ground and then went rigid as he locked gazes w ith Adrian. More compulsionbut much less than Lissa had used.Forget this, hissed Adrian. We never had this conversation.Adrian, what are youDaniella stopped in the living rooms doorway, taking in the strange sights. Christian was still on the couch, but Adrian and Lissa were inches from Joe, whose shirt was soaked with sweat.Whats going on? Daniella exclaimed.Adrian stepped back and gave his mother one of those charming smiles that captivated so many women. This guy came by to see you, Mom. We told him wed wait until you got back. Were going to head out now.Daniella glanced between her son and Joe. She was clearly uneasy about the scenario and also confused. Lissa was surprised at the heading out comment but followed Adrians lead. Christian did too.It was nice seeing you, said Lissa, attempting a smile to match Adrians. Joe looked totally dazed. After Adrians last command, the unretentive janitor had also probably forgotten how hed ended up at the Ivashkov home.Lissa and Christian hastily followed Adrian out before Daniella could say much more. What the hell was that? asked Christian, once they were outside. I wasnt sure if he meant Lissas scary compulsion or what Joe had revealed.Not sure, said Adrian, expression dark. No more cheery smile. But we should talk to Mikhail.Rose.Dimitris voice was gentle, bringing me back to him, Sydney, and the car. Hed undoubtedly recognized the expression on my face and knew where Id been.Everything okay back there? he asked.I knew back there meant Court and not the backseat. I nodded, though okay wasnt quite the right word for what Id just witnessed. What had I just witnessed? An ad dribbleion of false testimony. An admission that contradicted some of the evidence against me. I didnt care so much that Joe had lied to keep Adrian safe. Adrian hadnt been involved with Tatianas murder. I wanted him free and clear. But what about the other part? Some ordinary Moroi whod paid Joe to lie about when Id been around, leaving me witho ut an alibi during the murder window?Before I could fully process the implications, I noticed the car had stopped. Forcing the Joe-info to the back of my mind, I tried to take commonplace of our new situation. Sydneys laptop glowed in the front seat as she scrolled through something.Where are we? I peered out the window. In the headlights, I saw a sad, closed gas station.Altswood, said Dimitri. By my estimation, there was nothing else but the gas station. Makes our last town look like New York.Sydney closed her laptop. She handed it back, and I set it on the seat beside me, near the backpacks shed miraculously grabbed when leaving the motel. She shifted the car into drive and pulled out of the parking lot. Not too far away, I could see the highway and expected her to turn toward it. Instead, she cloud past the gas station, deeper into darkness. Like the last place, we were surrounded by mountains and forests. We crept along at a snails pace until Sydney spotted a tiny bewilder road disappearing into the woods. It was only big enough for one car to go down, but somehow, I didnt expect wed run into much traffic out here. A similar road took us in deeper and deeper, and although I couldnt see her face, Sydneys anxiety was palpable in the car.Minutes felt like hours until our narrow path open up into a large, dirt-packed clearing. Other vehiclespretty oldlookingwere parked there. It was a strange place for a parking lot, considering all I could see around us was dark forest. Sydney shut off the car.Are we at a campground? I asked.She didnt answer. Instead, she looked at Dimitri. Are you as good as they say you are?What? he asked, startled.Fighting. Everyone keeps talk about how dangerous you are. Is it true? Are you that good?Dimitri considered. Pretty good.I scoffed. Very good.I hope its enough, said Sydney, reaching for the doors handle.I opened my door as well. Arent you going to ask about me?I already know youre dangerous, she said. Ive seen it.Her com pliment offered little comfort as we walked out crossways the rural parking lot. Whyd we stop?Because we have to go on rear now. She turned on a flashlight and shone it along the lots perimeter. At last, it flickered across a footpath snaking through the trees. The path was small and easy to miss because weeds and other plants were encroaching on it. There. She began to move toward it.Wait, said Dimitri. He moved in front of her, leading the way, and I immediately took up the back position in our group. It was a standard guardian formation. We were flanking her the way we would a Moroi. All earlier thoughts of Lissa flitted from my mind. My attention was totally on the situation at hand, all my senses alert to the potential danger. I could see Dimitri was in the same mode, both of us holding our stakes.Where are we going? I asked as we carefully avoided roots and holes along the path. Branches scraped along my arms.To people I guarantee wont turn you in, she said, voice grim.More questions were on my lips when brilliant light suddenly blinded me. My eyes had grown attuned to the darkness, and the unexpected brightness was too abrupt a change. There was a rustling in the trees, a sense of many bodies around us, and as my vision returned, I saw vampire faces everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment